Our regular public group climbs at local parks are perfect for new climbers from 6 - 96 years old. You can give climbing a try after a few pointers from an experienced facilitator. You'll be 30 or 40 feet high before you know it! All the gear is provided -- just bring a camera and a friend.
Private tree climbing experiences are also available in one of our favorite trees. An hour long private climb experience is $100 whether there is 1 climber or up to 6. Private climbs make for an unforgettable birthday present for a child or an adult! If you would like more time in the tree to practice climbing different routes then maybe a 90 minute private climb is right for you. A 90-minute private climb is $130 and a 2-hour private climb is $150. Call 919.928.4230 or email for additional options tailored to your needs.
Half day or full day private instruction is perfect for those who already have some climbing experience and want to learn new skills under the tutelage and supervision of an expert climber. You may bring your own gear (subject to safety check) or use our gear. The general skill progression for recreational/research tree climbing is outlined below.
- Tree selection and identifying potential hazards
- Basic tree climbing gear - detailed overview and considerations
- Getting your climbing line into the tree
- Safety in the tree
- Traditional Doubled Rope Technique (DRT) climbing. Knots, ascending, and descending
- Advanced tree climbing gear - detailed overview and considerations
- Multi-pitch climbing and lanyard positioning
- Split tails and closed tail DRT climbing
- Single Rope Technique (SRT) climbing. Tie offs, RADS (Rapid Ascent and Descent System - aka Yo-yo), Rope Wrench System, others
- Limb walking, redirects, tree-to-tree traversing, and peripheral canopy access
GearIf you are committed to tree climbing to the point that you want to buy your own gear, a couple of tree gear companies have created recreational tree climbing gear kits with the entry level climber in mind. These kits have all the gear you will need to get started including harness, rope, helmet, cambium savers, carabiners, throw lines and weights, etc.
Here are 2 excellent, all-inclusive choices that cost about $650 each:
If you become a member of Tree Climbers International, which I highly recommend, you will get coupons for 10-12% off at treestuff.com, wespur.com and sherrilltree.com. If you apply these coupons to a climbing kit, your $25 lifetime membership will pay off immediately!